Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tourists in New York City and other things that go bump in the day and night

There's one weird and strange thing about people coming to New York City, most of them at some point, will stand in the middle of the sidewalk, mouths agape staring up at something or other and blocking up the whole sidewalk. It's either this reaction or they have the map out that is about four feet long and they are trying to determine where they are. This is fine, we all get lost, but can you step to the side of the sidewalk so your not smack dab in the middle of the damn street?!? I guess not.
I know people get lost, shit, i've been plenty of places and got lost but I don't stand in the damn middle of the sidewalk like some putz. Ok sorry for the negativity, of course we love tourists here, we need them like any major city and tourist destination does but c'mon tourists learn how to read a map or ask directions. Most New Yorkers are pretty helpful. What is another thing to avoid when coming here as a tourist? HMMM. Well I would say all the hawkers trying to sell you crap from stupid pictures, to rides in those annoying bicycle buggy things and anyone trying to sell you basically anything that is to good to be true. Ok tourists have fun, come to our city, with your badly dressed selves and your euro dollars, we love you. At the rate they are buying up our Real estate, we will have to rename New York some European name like Newyorkchya, or New York Land or some such horror. If Bush has our way we will be drilling up every off short spot, spilling oil into our oceans and Florida will be a giant oil slick before long. Thank god his reign of nightmare is almost over, now all we have to hope for is that the public isn't stupid enough to elect MCcain president. Anyone who spent six years as a P.O.W. might be a hero but that doesn't mean he's sane or a good leader and I doubt he's either.
Moving on, This message goes out to any and all joggers and walkers and mothers with baby carriages that frequent the bike path that runs along the Hudson River by the West Side Highway. I enjoy riding my bike there, like many other New Yorkers, unfortunately due to construction the 2 lanes meant for bikers, runners and bladers are also populated by walkers, mothers with baby carriages, dog walkers and God knows who else. this is fine but realize that there are people whizzing up and down this lane and stay to the right as the signs every 25 feet or so say! Is this that hard? Are you so self involved that you can't simply stay to the right. If your a lone jogger are you that important that you have to run right in the middle of the two lanes? Making others have to go around you and risk a head on collission with oncoming bikers? I have taken to passing as close to these people on my bike as I can to scare them back to the right which doesn't work. The other groups that are annoying are the packs of runners that number two or more. They think because they have the numbers that gives them the right to take up the whole lane, this is wrong, stay to the right, I am a biker and I will run you over, well not really but it's nice to make them think I might. Putting the fear of God into people isn't always a bad thing. To the walkers who think it's cool to walk against the traffic. You are even dumber I think than the runners who take up the whole lane. Not only can't you follow direction, you wander along the path on your cellphone oblivious to the bikes, runners and bladers who's progress you are impeding. Get off your cellphone and wake up, walk along a sidewalk somewhere else your not even appreciating the view. If you hear someone yelling at you as they whiz by "Your on the wrong side of the path you moron!" that would be me, deal with it! To the bikers who wear the full gear, as if they were participating in stage six of the Tour De France, get over yourself, your usually some middle aged guy who doesn't have the body for this outfit and your going about 10 mph which isn't making you look good. The other type that wears this is the guy who is probably whizzing down the path going about 45mph and almost hitting everyone in his way. These guys are nuts and have a major deficiency somewhere in their Dna make up. I fall somewhere in between, I keep a good pace, don't wear the tight ass gear and I always stay to the right because I am respectful of other people's right to be on the path. My advice to you if you like to bike ride, avoid this path on weekends unless your an early riser, everyone and their granny is down there right now and it's not an enjoyable ride. Unfortunately for us natives, Bloomberg our putz of a mayor excuse my use of the word but i'm not a fan of his, has instituted a bike rental policy for Downtown New York, while this is great for the tourists in New York it is bad for us locals who like our path not to be full of tourists driving slow and who have no idea how to ride in this kind of place.
Ok I guess you must have had enough of my rantings, well one last thing, what the hell is going on in Tribeca lately? Every rich yuppie or out of towner who owns an apartment on the top floor has decided to build a house on their rooftops, I cannot tell you how many hours on Sunday I had to listen to the loudest drilling noise you can imagine because another rich asswipe had to build a 2000 square foot house on his private rooftop to impress his girlfriend with the fake hooters. Enough already, is their an end to this? I think not my friends, as usual the little man, the poor man and the man just trying to make it in this world gets crapped on. Maybe one day I will have my revenge and not build a roof top house, instead i'll buy in the caribbean or the Hamptons and laugh at my neighbors as I pull up in my Toyota Corrolla as his manservant waxes his Benz. Well I am going to sign off until my next rant or rave, stay cool and remember when in New York, look up and look down too and don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk map in hand, you will look like the obvious lost tourist. Peace and love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.