Tuesday, November 25, 2008

General Rant could be about anything

Ok here I am again, Thanksgiving is around the corner, well it's here basically. My little nephew is staying with me for a while. I now realize why I have never had the inclination to have a spawn of my own. I love the little guy don't get me wrong, but spending even the smallest amount of time with him is an exhausting task. My best friend has four kids and I don't know how he survives it. He keeps asking me to come out and visit him, but whenever the thought of having his kids yelling, screaming and jumping on me or whatever else is around, I cringe and a deep sense of horror overtakes me. I just don't see the positive of having a kid. I like my freedom too much, kids have germs, they are carriers of God knows what kind of pestilence. They put their hands on everything and spread the germs all over, they destroy all that is holy in this world. I am obviously joking but I am also part serious as well, you decide how much. My little nephew is fond of taking off all his clothes and playing what he lovingly refers to as "penis guitar". I hope later in life he doesn't also feel this need, while cute, it is also deeply disturbing on many levels. Why do we feel the need to procreate? Isn't the world overpopulated as it is? Aren't there little babies all over the world in need of adoption? Go to China sometime, it's a business there. There's thousands of them waiting for you to take them in and show them a good life. We are selfish aren't we? We have to have our own spawn and pass on all of our genetic malfunctions to them. It is as if we need to see how fucked up they will turn out, so we pop them out one after another. I often see the fathers with the kids and they don't look especially happy to me. My own father wasn't around much, I always felt he looked at me as an annoyance, this might have something to do with why I find myself with no desire to procreate. Maybe I don't want to pass on my bad father gene to a new spawn of my own. So the question becomes why do we do it? Is it more a man or woman's urge to reproduce? Isn't this the genetic code all humans have? It is how we have survived this long isn't it? What would the toy industry do without a new batch of kids every year to sustain it. My nephew has enough toys to sustain a small village of kids. It's just insane, but this is America and we have plenty don't we? If I was a woman, there would be no way I would want to carry a child, imagine how it must be and feel to watch in horror as your stomach stretches almost to bursting in an Alien like movie nightmare, and to feel the baby creature kicking around in your belly. I am sure some women love this but to me, the thought is abhorrent. Not to mention how it ruins your body, although I will say, my sister is in great shape, she is one of the lucky ones that doesn't pile on the baby weight and keep it on after child birth. There is no end to the hulking lugubrious fatsos walking around in America today, we are by far the fattest nation in the world, take a trip to the mid west sometime and you shall see. Haven't you watched the biggest loser? Where hulking monstrosities of human beings come to compete in who can lose the most weight. Haven't we as a nation possibly reached the end of our rope? Are we in decline? Maybe our time is over and the rest of the world is laughing at us. Sure we can make a great plane and bomb the shit out of you if you fuck around with us, but are we the Greeks? Are we the home and birth of knowledge, the arts, the next Dionysus? I don't see it coming anytime soon. What I do see is Johnny Cracker in his trailer park with three kids with dirt under their fingernails. I do see the level of intelligence of our youth declining. I see all the glut of our society, the Mcdonald's fed kids with a beer belly at age 12, hopped up on violent video games and inhaling junk food at alarming rates. Maybe the experiment has gone awry? The great America we once envisioned has become something else, it has morphed into a nightmare of the corporation. The founding fathers never envisioned that the corporations would grow into the all powerful commodities they are now. We are all consumers whether we want to be or not. I can understand why people in the 60's wanted to drop out, but is it even possible to drop out in modern day America? There must be some communes left, but even then you have to buy something don't you? If you get a headache you need an aspirin unless you know the proper tree bark to consume which I am sure no one in this country does anymore. Mainly because we destroyed the American Indians culture that could have taught us this. Well this is food for thought isn't it? We must consume, we are using up more resources than the Earth has to give us, we are declining in the world in terms of education, infant mortality, creativeness, intelligence and we are fighting a war in two countries while people in our own raid food pantries amid the ever worsening financial crisis. Big corporations get bailed out of their debt, while the average "Joe the plumber" (Bad analogy I know) gets the shaft. We can hope that President Obama will change things but lets be realistic here, how much can one man do? I think we look to Obama as a messiah but he is just a man and beholden to the same power structure as past presidents. The military industrial complex, big business, the corporate elite etc. etc. To think otherwise is fantasy. Well are you sufficiently filled with dread? Doesn't this feel like that moment in Oliver Stones"The Doors" When all seems to be falling apart, Jim Morrison is watching the Vietnam war on T.V. and basically sees the writing on the wall? Pollution, global warming, war, drought, hunger, pestilence, disease,orphaned children, animal species going extinct? The polar bears drowning and on and on and exclaims "I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. Where does it end people? When will it end? If the signs are true then maybe the guy on the train with the sign that the end is near might not be wrong next time. Well I didn't intend for this to be a total bummer but hey you have to be real right? No need to sugarcoat it, we are fucked people and we don't really have anyone to blame but ourselves. It went down on our watch. Think about that when your eating your store bought free range turkey this Thanksgiving and try to give thanks for something positive going on in your life and this world while you still can. Peace to all and happy turkey day.

No comments: